Address: 741 NE Third Street Construction Date: 1912 Current Business: Railroad Depot Historic Name/Use: Southern Pacific Railroad Significance: Secondary Significant Style of Architecture: Craftsman
1913- Present- Southern Pacific Railroad
In July of 1879 the Western Oregon Railroad provided McMinnville with its first rail connection and stimulated development of the town. This craftsman-style depot was constructed in 1912 with the arrival of the electric interurban rail service between Eugene and Portland. Diesel locomotives replaced the old steam locomotive in 1953.
This rectangular one-story hipped-roof train depot is of brick construction with wood detailing. A front canopy extends more than twenty feet over a cement platform. The original train depot was first established in the city of McMinnville in 1880 when the Western Oregon Railroad built a main line going south. This building was demolished after the new railroad depot was constructed in 1912.
Secondary Significant: Structures are classified as Primary Significant if they were built in or between 1913 and 1937. These buildings represent the secondary period of construction and development from the increase of city improvements and auto traffic.
* This publication has been funded with the assistance of a matching grant-in-aid from the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office and the National Park Service. Regulations of the U.S. Department of the Interior strictly prohibit unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, age or handicap. Any person who believes he or she has been discriminated against in any program, activity, or facility operated by a recipient of Federal assistance should write to: Office of Equal Opportunity, National Park Service, 1849 C Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20240.